The people of Florida are entitled by law to work and seek employment without being discriminated against based on their race, national origin, color, sex, disability, religion, age or marital status.

Who Can File?
It is against the law to discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or marital status.
An employee or an applicant for employment may file a complaint when:
• The alleged discriminatory act occurred within the past 365 days
• An employer or potential employer has 15 or more employees
• There is no federal or local agency responsible for accepting alleged complaints of discrimination.
See where to file to determine eligibility.

How To File?
Call, write or visit the EEOC (in your City) or Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR) within 180 days and under certain circumstances 300 days as to the EEOC or 365 days as to the FCHR of the date in which the alleged act of discrimination occurred and describe the situation you feel was discriminatory. An experienced Intake Counselor will listen, advise and assist you accordingly.
The FCHR works cooperatively with its federal counterpart, the EEOC, and most cases are dual filed.

The Process

What to expect after you file a complaint:

Filing a complaint – You must file a complaint with the EEOC within 180 days or 300 days, or 365 days as to the FCHR of the date the alleged act of discrimination took place. Once your complaint is processed, you will be advised of your rights and responsibilities.

Mediation – This is a process in which an impartial person helps parties resolve their dispute prior to a thorough investigation.

Investigation – If the dispute cannot be resolved through mediation, the EEOC or FCHR will conduct a full investigation that is objective, timely and efficient.

Determination – A determination is issued indicating whether or not there is adequate evidence of discrimination.

Notification – You will be notified of the EEOC’s or FCHR’s determination and will receive instructions on how to seek the remedies provided for under the law, which could result in a hearing or civil action in a court of law.

CONTACT US AT 407-481-8103