FAQS (Return)


Q:        What should I do if I believe I’m being harassed or discriminated against at work?

A:         Report the harassment to your Supervisor and/or HR Department. Most employers have policies for reporting harassment. As an employee, you must utilize these policies/procedures or risk dismissal of your claim at a later date.


Q:        If I am harassed or am a victim of discrimination and report it to my employer or HR and nothing is done, what should I do?

A:         Contact the EEOC or FCHR to schedule an appointment to file a charge of discrimination.


Q:        If I am contacted by an insurance company should I give a statement or talk with them?

A:         You should never sign a statement, give a recorded statement, sign any releases or talk to an insurance company without first conferring with an attorney, except to obtain the name of the adjuster on your case and to get your claim number.


Q:        What should I do If I’ve been subjected to police misconduct or excessive force by law enforcement?

A:         File a citizen’s complaint with the Department detailing what happened to you and then contact an attorney immediately.


Q:        If I am shot or injured while I am visiting someone’s property, or while am at a store, night club, or apartment complex, what are my rights?

A:         You may be entitled to compensation for your damages, especially if there have been prior complaints of injuries or attacks, or the landowner failed to implement adequately security measures to protect you and others.


Q:        What does it mean to "file suit," and why do we do it?

A:         The act of filing legal papers at the courthouse is called filing suit. The client gives the authorization to file suit after all other options have been exhausted during pre-suit. Over the last decade, the insurance industry has stepped up its aggressive defense of all cases, and the number of clients we are undertaking is steadily increasing.

When a case is filed with the court, it does not necessarily mean you will be accompanying your lawyer to court. Most cases are able to be rectified before trials begin, through mediation, but some still make it through. Since we have such a history with a variety of cases, we are able to provide the client with the education essential to making wise decisions. Despite the large number of cases we take on, we are extremely proud of the number of them in which we are victorious and able to satisfy the client, rewarding them with what they deserve

    Q:What is a mediation?

A:         A mediation is a settlement meeting that occurs before a case goes to trial. Both sides appear with legal representation before a mediator, who is usually a retired judge or lawyer, and the mediator listens to each party's story. If neither side agrees on a settlement during the mediation conference, the case goes to trial. Anything discussed during mediation cannot be used in a court of law.


If you have a question that is not listed in the section, request a free consultation by calling The Allen Firm PA at 407-481-8103.